Wednesday, November 6, 2013

That big day

by Susan Palmes-Dennis


I sang the Star-Spangled Banner as I embraced my U.S citizenship last Oct. 8 

in  a ceremony held at the Department of Homeland Security's Charlotte office 

at North Carolina.


It was exactly 1:45 p.m. when I sang the US national anthem with 87 people '

from 44 countries who underwent the ceremony. When the name of the 

countries were called there were those I haven't heard before.


The ceremony was held in a big room decorated with US flags and a big TV 

screen, a center-stage and chairs with three personnel from Homeland 

Security.


Before we were seated on that room, we were “pre-seated” in another room in 

front where we received instructions from a female employee on what to do in 

the next room.


Since I was seated at the front I was one of the first five that stood up and led 

to the next room. When it was my turn I was asked by the officer if I traveled 

after I passed the English and US history and government tests and I answered 

no.


Then I was asked to surrender my first and second green card (temporary and 

permanent) and I was given a brown envelope. I was led to sit at the front. The 

line was long because I learned later there were 88 of us.


I saw by the way some applicants with interpreters. Inside the envelope were 

one small American flag, the citizens almanac, a copy of the oath of allegiance


the pledge of allegiance,  a flyer outlining instructions for acquiring a US 


passport, one North Carolina Voter Registration application, a letter from US 


President Barack Obama and the certificate of naturalization.


Then the formal ceremony started with a video production detailing the 

greatness of the US and testimonies of naturalized citizens who dreamt big and 

realized their dreams in the U.S.


The video spoke about the freedoms and corresponding responsibilities of a US 

citizen. I did sing the Star Spangled Banner which made my eyes teary and 

recited the pledge of allegiance---“ I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United 

States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under 

God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”


Each of the 88 applicants was called to receive the certificate and congratulated 

by the officer. Picture taking was allowed during the ceremony and after. 

Ronnie was with me on that big day with a family friend named Peggy Reid. 


At the next post, I'll talk about how I passed the naturalization exam.


(For questions, comments, suggestions you can post them this article or send it 

to spdennis54@gmail.com. I invite you to follow me at my Facebook page 

and read my columns at www.sunstar.com.ph)

No comments:

Post a Comment