Thursday, November 7, 2013

Re-scheduling the interview

by Susan Palmes-Dennis

It was on Oct. 8 that I took the interview and examination for the naturalization process at the Homeland Security Office at Charlotte, North Carolina.

But you just couldn't apply for an interview, you have to wait for a notice from the Homeland Security office for the schedule after filing an application for U.S citizenship.

My application was based on my marriage to an American citizen and was filed under N-400.

A month after I received a notice to proceed to Homeland Security's NC office for my biometrics and was instructed to bring the notice, State ID and the green card.

During the biometrics, fingerprinting is done and a quick guide study for civics was given to me. I was instructed to study and wait for the notice for the interview.

I read the quick civic lessons contained in the package during this period. The lessons actually consist of a review of U.S History and government structure.

It was during this time that we received the notice of my interview scheduled on Sept. 3 at 7:15 am.

Unknown to Homeland Security, I was booked for an Aug. 31 trip to Paris so there is really no way I can be available for the interview. The notice specified that failure to appear during the interview would greatly affect one's application in the future.

So Ronnie called up Homeland Security and secured an info-pass to be used to cancel the scheduled interview. The info-pass was scheduled on Sept. 1. Still, Ronnie told me to study and review because while we intended to postpone the Sept. 3 interview, I might still be interviewed, so I had to be prepared.

When we arrive at the Homeland security I was asked to present the info-pass and the purpose of the pass and I was told to report to the room where I waited for my number to be called.


When my turn came, I explained to the officer that I wasn't available on Sept. 3 because I am headed to Paris and the trip was scheduled ahead of the notice. I was asked to present the ticket for my trip.

So one should always be ready with evidence to explain one's reason for canceling the scheduled interview. Then I was asked to surrender the original notice and told to submit a letter-explanation which I wrote in the presence of the interviewer.

She saw me writing and she said this is good (more on my writing in the next post and why it was important).

The interviewer told us that because of my trip and my explanation for canceling the interview, I would receive a new schedule.


I'll post the results of my interview and explain what an N-400 application is.


(For questions, comments, suggestions you can post them this article or send it 

to spdennis54@gmail.com. I invite you to follow me at my Facebook page 

and read my columns at www.sunstar.com.ph)

No comments:

Post a Comment