Monday, November 4, 2013

On securing US citizenship

by Susan Palmes-Dennis-

First of a series~

As a Filipino who came to the US under a fiancee visa, it took me two years 

and nine months to become an American citizen.

Based on my experience, I would explain the steps on how I acquired US  

citizenship with the hope that anyone wishing to do so can do the same.

I start off with the time I received a passport instead of my arrival in the US 

under the K-1 visa (Fiancée visa).

At first, I considered accepting a new citizenship as a journey in itself since I 

loved the country of my birth. But there comes a time in one’s life when one 

has to leave home and live in another place.

It was not easy for every step involved time, money and perseverance. Plus 

there's the longing to go back and instead ask my American husband to go with 

me to the Philippines.

But it is not meant to be. Also I would like to state that this wouldn't be 

possible without  the support and prodding of my husband---the man who made 

this possible Ronnie Dennis of Charlotte, N.C.

Last week, Oct. 25, 2013 I received a US passport colored blue that's good for 

10 years  after I filed an application on Oct. 18. The application DS-11 12-2010 

can be obtained at the post office or can be downloaded. 


But there is also a form on the application for passport inside the envelope 

given after the  naturalization ceremony. Passport application fee is charged to 

all first time applicants who must apply in person at a passport agency, 

acceptance facility, U.S. Embassy or Consulate. One is required to submit a 

state ID which can be the driver’s license.

In the absence of a driver's license, an applicant can present bank documents,  

medical records. A learners permit issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles 

(DMV) here at NC is not accepted.


A certificate of naturalization is the best evidence. One is required to present 

the original and it would be returned to you together with the issued passport.

In my case, Ronnie prepared a reproduction of my diploma from Duke 

University after I  passed the paralegal course and the NC State Board exam 

certificate and became a Notary Public.

It was fast since—after filing at the downtown office here in Charlotte I was 

told by the  postal employee that the waiting period is between four to six 

weeks.

An application for passport can only be secured after one receives the 

certificate of  naturalization. For information,questions, and inquiries please 

visit the website at travel.state.gov.

In addition, one can contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) 

toll-free at 1-877-487-2778 ( 1-888-874-7793) or by email at  

NPIC@state.gov. Customer representatives are available Monday-Friday from 8 

am to 10 pm. Eastern time (excluding federal holidays.).

Automated information is available 24.7 I'll continue my story on how to  

secure US citizenship in two years and nine months. It is said that with your 

U.S. passport, the world is yours.

The passport is issued by the State Department. The U.S passport book is the 

ticket to international travel by air, sea, and land. Many Filipinos especially 

those who came via a fiancé visa have expired passports.

This is due to accessibility to the Department of Foreign Affairs in the U.S 

which are clustered by states. Hence overstaying Filipinos usually experience 

the hassle of dealing with immigration authorities unlike naturalized US 

citizens who are spared that inconvenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment